Frequently Asked Questions about Payments
How long does it take to post my payment to my auto account?
How long it takes a payment to be visible on your account depends on how the payment was submitted to us.
In general, payments will be credited to the account as of the day they are received by Chase as long as they are received during business hours or for online payments prior to the processing cut-off time. In some cases, missing or incomplete information may cause delays.
Why hasn’t my overnight payment posted to my account yet?
Posting overnight payments generally takes 1-2 business days if all the account information needed to post the payment is included. There may be delays if your payment is missing information, such as your account number or name.
Note: If the payment was accepted, even though posting may be delayed, the payment will be applied effective the date it was received for processing.
How is my payment allocated to my account?
For Auto Loans any payment received is first applied to any interest due, then to any principal due and then any outstanding fees. After satisfying the amount due and fees, any remaining amount is applied to reduce the principal balance. Click here to watch an online video about payment allocation.
For Auto Leases the payment is first applied to any amount due on the account, then any outstanding fees. Any amount remaining will be applied to the next payment due.
Note: Paying more than the amount due will not reduce the amount you are required to pay over the life of the lease.
How can I change the payment due date on my loan? On my lease?
Note: You can only change your due date two times during the life of the loan and only one time during a lease. Additional restrictions apply.
To request a due date change on a loan:
- Sign in and click on your auto account. Select either the (...) or "Things you can do" for more options.
- Choose “Update settings and preferences” and the “Payment due date” and follow the directions on the screen.
To request a due date change on a lease:
Call us at 1-800-227-5151
How can I make a payment online?
- Sign in and click on your auto account and select “Pay loan.”
- Choose your “Pay from account,” “Payment date” and your “Payment amount.”
- You can pay the amount due, another amount or principal only.
- If you want to pay more than your amount due and want the extra applied to only reduce your principal balance, choose “Amount due” and specify the additional amount in the principal only box.
- Choose “Pay this bill” when you’ve finalized your amounts on the next screen, review the details and choose “Pay it” to submit the payment.
There are several ways to pay your auto account.
How can I set up automatic payments online?
- To set up “Automatic payments,” sign in and click on your auto account and select “Pay loan.”
- Choose “Automatic payments setup” under your account name. Go to the next screen and follow the directions to select your "Pay from” account, the day of the month you want the payment to occur, and the payment amount, then click “Next.”
- Review the details and click “Set up” to complete the process.
How do I add a non-Chase checking account to my payments online?
- To add an external account, sign in and click on “Pay & transfer” or “Pay bills.”
- On the next screen, select “Add external account” or “Add pay-from account” from the right side of the screen.
- Follow the directions to add the account, including the verification method.
Note: You can use the account you’ve added right away and before the verification process is complete if you want to make a payment the same day that you add the account.
How can I see if a payment has been applied to my account?
- To see if a payment has been applied to your account, sign in to chase.com and select your auto account to review your transaction history, which will appear under the account summary information.
- Payments will appear in the transaction history once they are applied to your account.
Can I cancel a payment that was previously scheduled online?
You can cancel a payment you have scheduled online as long as the payment is not already in a "Sent" or "Complete" status.
To cancel a one time payment you scheduled online:
- Sign in to chase.com
- Choose "Pay & Transfer" and from the drop-down select "Payment activity."
- Click on "Auto loans/leases" under MY CHASE PAYMENTS (PENDING/PAST).
- Click "Cancel" on the payment you want to cancel and confirm that you want to cancel on the next screen.
To cancel an automatic payment you scheduled online:
- Sign in to chase.com
- Choose "Pay & Transfer."
- Click on "Automatic payments" under MY CHASE PAYMENTS (PENDING/PAST).
- Choose your Auto account from the drop-down menu under "See automatic payments."
- Choose "Turn off" on the next screen and confirm that you want to turn off on the next screen.
Note: The cutoff time to cancel a payment to a loan or lease account is:
- 11:00 PM Eastern time on any business day for payments from a Chase checking or prepaid account
- 8:00 PM Eastern time on any business day for payments from a non-Chase checking account
How do I view my transaction activity online?
Follow the steps below to view transaction activity.
- Sign in, click on your auto account, and locate the "Account activity" section
- Choose the timeframe you wish to view via the "Showing" drop down
- The transaction activity for the corresponding timeframe will display
Account activity is also available in your online billing statements.