The Chase Sapphire Preferred® credit card has several travel benefits, but a reimbursement for the TSA PreCheck® fee is not one. It's the Chase Sapphire Reserve® credit card that offers a statement credit up to $100 every four years as reimbursement for a TSA PreCheck application fee. The cards are similar in that they both have exciting travel benefits and rewards programs.
A brief comparison of Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve
There can be many nuances when comparing Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve. When deciding which Chase Sapphire card is right for you, consider your spending habits, travel needs, as well as each card's benefits and rewards program.
Some notable differences between the Chase Sapphire Preferred and Reserve cards are as follows:
Chase Sapphire Preferred
- $50 annual Ultimate Rewards hotel credit
- No airport lounge access
- 25% more value when points are redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
Chase Sapphire Reserve
- $300 annual travel credit
- Priority Pass™ Select membership for 1,300+ airport lounges
- 50% more value when points are redeemed for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
Chase Sapphire Preferred travel benefits
Travelers with a Chase Sapphire Preferred card can enjoy several benefits. Here are just a few:
Cardmembers can transfer points to any of Chase's travel partners at a 1:1 rate. This may help with the costs of certain hotel and airfare bookings.
Chase's direct transfer partners include:
- Aer Lingus, AerClub
- Air Canada Aeroplan
- British Airways Executive Club
- Emirates Skywards®
- Flying Blue AIR FRANCE KLM
- Iberia Plus
- JetBlue TrueBlue
- Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
- Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards®
- United MileagePlus®
- Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- IHG® Rewards Club
- Marriott Bonvoy™
- World of Hyatt®
Travel and purchase coverage
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver: Decline the rental company's collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is primary and provides reimbursement up to the actual cash value of the vehicle for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad.
- Baggage Delay Insurance: Reimburses you for essential purchases like toiletries and clothing for baggage delays over six hours by passenger carrier up to $100 a day for 5 days.
- Trip Delay Reimbursement: If your common carrier travel is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay, you and your family are covered for unreimbursed expenses, such as meals and lodging, up to $500 per ticket.
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance: If your trip is canceled or cut short by sickness, severe weather and other covered situations, you can be reimbursed up to $10,000 per person and $20,000 per trip for your pre-paid, non-refundable travel expenses, including passenger fares, tours, and hotels.
Chase Sapphire Preferred travel earnings
The credit card offers ways to save up extra points, making it a great choice for travel and everyday spending.
- Earn 5x total points on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, excluding hotel purchases that qualify for the $50 Annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit.
- Earn 2x on other travel purchases.
- Earn 3x points on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out.
- Earn 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs).
- Earn 3x points on select streaming services.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem points for travel: When you redeem your points through Chase Ultimate Rewards, you can receive 25% more in value for travel-related purchases such as airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and cruises.
If it's reimbursement for TSA PreCheck fees that you're after, Sapphire Reserve may be the credit card you want. Although it has many travel benefits, the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card does not reimburse the TSA PreCheck application fee. The Chase Sapphire Reserve Credit Card offers a statement credit up to $100 every four years as reimbursement for a TSA PreCheck application fee.
Whether you choose Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve, the rewards and benefits of either card can help you earn value from your spending. Both cards offer sign-up bonuses, travel benefits and an exciting rewards program: Chase Ultimate Rewards.