Skip to main content

How to replace a lost global entry card

minute read

    Global Entry benefits can expedite U.S. Customs screenings when arriving in the United States from international destinations. Members can skip immigration paperwork, standard processing lines, then access designated kiosks in many airports.

    As with many membership programs, a physical card is provided after you're approved for Global Entry. The cards have important membership information, such as your name and Known Traveler Number (KTN), but your card is not always needed to access Global Entry benefits.

    Like almost anything else, membership cards can be lost, misplaced or damaged. If you're looking to request a replacement Global Entry card, read on.

    Replacing a lost or stolen Global Entry card

    You can log in to your Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) account and select "Manage Membership" to request a replacement of your physical Global Entry card. You have to activate a new or replacement card within 30 days of receiving it, which you can also do by logging in to your TTP account online.

    Your physical Global Entry card has special radio frequency identification (RFID) technology. When you request a replacement card, the original is deactivated. If your card does not work properly, you'll have to visit a Global Entry enrollment center for another replacement.

    Does it cost money to replace a Global Entry card?

    The fee for a replacement Global Entry card is $25 (as of May 2023). There may not be a fee for replacing a damaged card, though.

    How long does it take to get a replacement Global Entry card?

    Replacement cards may arrive within 10 business days of your request, but can also take as long as 4 to 6 months. Your Global Entry card is usually mailed to your mailing address if you have one on file. Otherwise, your card is mailed to your designated U.S. point of contact or a Global Entry enrollment center.

    Do you have to replace a lost Global Entry card?

    Your card is not needed to use a Global Entry kiosk. Here, you'll scan your passport or U.S. lawful permanent resident card. Physical Global Entry cards are required for expedited entry at SENTRI and NEXUS lanes when you enter the United States. These TTPs are like Global Entry in that they provide expedited entry at select international ports of entry. Your Global Entry card would be required at these entry lanes because they use the card's RFID technology.

    In summary

    Requesting a replacement Global Entry card is a rather straightforward process but normally requires a fee. To request a replacement, log in to your TTP account and select "Manage Membership."

    After you submit your request, your old card is deactivated and loses functionality. That includes its RFID chip. This is important because physical Global Entry cards are required to use SENTRI and NEXUS lanes at certain international ports of entry. Your membership card is not required to use Global Entry kiosks, though.

    Did you know Chase Sapphire Reserve® cardmembers can receive reimbursement for certain TTP fees? If you have a Sapphire Reserve card and use it to pay a Global Entry, NEXUS or TSA PreCheck® fee, you can receive a statement credit up to $100 every four years. Sapphire Reserve has an annual fee, in addition to many travel benefits and rewards that can suit various types of travelers.

    What to read next