Skip to main content

If your financial aid is suspended can you go to another school?


    Just because you’ve secured financial aid doesn’t mean you get to keep it forever. This is particularly the case if you fall behind academically in school – you could face financial aid suspension if your academic performance drops below a certain threshold. And this could leave you in a difficult financial situation if you want to continue your education.

    If this happens to you, you might wonder if changing schools is a possible solution. The short answer is no, but also, that it’s complicated.

    In this article, we’ll dive into this question and give some tips for what to do if your financial aid is suspended.

    Will your financial aid suspension due to academic performance be lifted if you switch schools?

    Suppose you lose the financial aid you received from filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) because you’ve fallen behind academically. In this case, you probably won’t be able to get your aid back unless you submit a successful appeal that shows you have or are able to improve your academic standing or are otherwise following your school’s procedures in relation to this loss.

    If your financial aid is suspended at one school, you might wonder whether you can switch schools to receive financial aid. The good news is you can apply for a new student financial aid package at a new school. That’s where the good news ends, though. A new school will look closely at your student record from your previous college to help determine your aid eligibility. If your financial aid was suspended for not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), this could impact your ability to secure new aid.

    Satisfactory Academic Progress, or SAP, is a policy drafted by colleges and universities that outlines the academic requirements required to keep your financial aid. When a student accepts their financial aid package, they agree to meet these academic requirements and stay in good standing throughout the year. The requirements differ from school to school, so it’s essential to check with your financial aid office and academic advisor to determine what they are.

    If you’re weighing whether to transfer, you might want to consider the new school’s SAP policy (remember, each school drafts its own policy) when making the decision.

    Tips to follow if your financial aid was suspended

    Get your grades up at your current college

    One way to get your aid back is to work hard to meet the SAP requirements at your current school. Work with your academic advisor on a plan to get back in good standing with your school. This may take more than a semester, but it’ll be worth your time.

    If you file FAFSA® the following year, and your school sees significant academic improvement that satisfies their SAP policies, you’ll likely have your financial aid package reinstated.

    Speak to your college’s financial aid office when you’re in the process of filing FAFSA® for the following year, too, to see if they require additional proof of improvement.

    If you can’t get your aid back by improving your SAP, you may want to consider your eligibility for an aid appeal.

    Consider appealing your financial aid suspension

    Undoubtedly, having your financial aid suspended will feel enormously difficult. Contact your school’s financial aid office and see what you can work out with them. If it comes down to it, you can always try to file an aid appeal to plead your case (the process for doing this will vary from school to school). There are circumstances like having a medical issue or the death of a family member that some schools will consider.

    Determine how your suspension will impact your scholarships

    Many students get scholarships to supplement the financial aid package supplied by their school. Keep in mind each scholarship comes with its own set of rules. If you’ve had your financial aid suspended by your school, you’ll also want to take the steps to determine how your scholarships, if you have any, will be impacted.

    Final thoughts

    Falling behind academically happens. The important thing is to course correct when you realize it’s happening. Take advantage of the resources and tools provided by your school. Get tutoring, reach out to your professors, and organize study groups with other students.

    If you lose financial aid because you fell behind academically, take charge of the situation and take the steps necessary to restore your financial aid, if possible. If you’re weighing transferring because you’ve lost financial aid at one school because of poor academic performance, make sure to consider if it’ll really help your situation.