A bank sign-up bonus is a promotion offered by financial institutions to attract new customers or encourage existing customers to open new accounts or use specific services. A bank sign-up bonus can vary by type and design and may have certain qualifying transactions or activities that the account holder may need to complete before receiving the bonus. But when chosen wisely, these offers may provide you with a valuable jumpstart in utilizing your new account and managing your finances. Let’s explore some of the different checking account bonuses and a few tips on how to find the best offers for you.
Types of checking account bonus offers
When it comes to checking account bonus offers, there are four common types you’re likely to come across:
- Cash bonuses: These bonuses are typically paid directly to the account holder either by being deposited directly into their account or through a mailed check. For example, a bank may offer a cash bonus for opening a new checking account after the required qualifying transactions are completed.
- Additional rewards: Some banks offer reward points that can be redeemed for merchandise, travel or other rewards. You typically earn them through routine activities such as making purchases or signing up for new services.
- Waived fees: Many checking account bonuses waive certain fees that are commonly associated with maintaining an account. For example, a bank may offer to waive the monthly maintenance fee for a certain period or ATM fees when using the bank's network of ATMs.
- Additional perks: Some banks offer additional perks and benefits as a bonus for opening a new checking account.
Types of savings account bonus
Savings account bonuses are typically similar to checking account bonuses, with many banks offering cash bonuses for opening a new savings account or for depositing a certain amount. Some banks may also offer savings account-specific bonuses, such as interest rate boosts, for saving a certain amount of money or maintaining a minimum balance.
How to get checking account offers when you sign up
Banks promote these checking account bonus offers through their websites, in-branch marketing, or through mail and email campaigns. Many bonuses require more than just opening an account to qualify. Typically, to acquire a bank account bonus you will have to fulfill a few conditions first — like making a minimum deposit or a certain number of qualifying transactions. These conditions can vary with the type of bonus. Many checking account bonuses might require you to set up direct deposit or make a certain number of transactions with your debit card.
It’s worth noting that bank bonuses change regularly and to double-check the terms and conditions of any bank bonus or checking account offer you’re pursuing. Ensuring you fully understand the requirements and the amount of time you have to meet them may help you qualify.
Savings account sign-up bonus considerations
Savings account offers are more commonly tied to minimum opening deposits or the maintenance of a certain account balance for a set time period. Additionally, some banks may also have specific eligibility requirements.
Choosing a checking account offer
When you're looking at different checking account bonus offers, there are a few things you should keep in mind to help ensure that you're getting the best deal:
- Shop around: Seeing what offers are currently available can help you determine which kind of bank account bonus is important to you. Comparing the value of the offers from different financial institutions can help you highlight attractive bonuses.
- Understand the fees: Remember that you’re committing to a new bank account, not just accepting a valuable checking account offer, and that fully understanding the fees and details of the account is important. Even if a bank account bonus waives certain fees for a set period of time, it's important to consider what the ongoing fees will be once that period is over.
- Read the fine print: Carefully read through the terms and conditions of the bonus offer to understand what you'll need to do to qualify for the bonus and any limitations or restrictions that may apply, such as limited withdrawals.
- Consider the account's other features: Confirming that the account has the features you genuinely want or need, such as online banking or mobile deposit, before you sign up can help ensure you can manage your finances smoothly even after the bonus has been claimed.
- Think long-term: Remember that the bonus is supposed to be the icing on the cake. While a certain bank account bonus may be an attractive offer, signing up for an account that is well-suited to your preferences and financial goals in the long term should be the main objective.
A bank sign-up bonus may be an excellent way to net some extra cash or perks when opening a new account, but it's important to be aware of the terms and conditions that apply and to consider the ongoing fees and features of the account as well. Additionally, when you are choosing a checking or savings account offer, thinking about your long-term banking needs may save you from hunting for another account sooner rather than later.