The year has flown by and it is already time to start thinking about the holidays. While this time of year is filled with festive favorites (pumpkin pie anyone?!), it also has unique seasonal stressors like snowy road trips and holiday traffic. We compiled some of our favorite tips for easing that stress and making the most of your jolly journey.
Preparation is key
This is especially true during the holidays. Besides your shopping list and Thanksgiving menu, you also have to prepare your car for the trip ahead.
- Especially before a long drive, it’s important that your car is up to date with all maintenance. Check your battery and brakes, oil, fluid levels and tire pressure.
- Pack your emergency kit with items like a flashlight, first-aid kit, water, fire extinguisher and jumper cables.
- If you’re going to an area with harsh winter weather, you might want to think about winterizing your car before you’re in the midst of cold weather. A small shovel, ice scraper, salt, and blankets are all good additions to your emergency kit.
- Stuff the turkey, not your car – leave enough trunk space for gifts and leftovers that you might bring back with you.
There are lots of simple hacks that can make your holiday road trip a little bit easier.
- Be flexible. Whether that means traveling during a different day or time (avoid the Wednesday before and Sunday after Thanksgiving), carpooling with friends, or adjusting your route based on traffic, little tweaks can make a world of difference.
- Plan your route in advance, mapping out nearby gas stations, EV chargers and snack stops so you never run out of fuel for yourself or your car.
- Check road conditions and traffic in advance, and give yourself plenty of extra time for sudden weather and restroom breaks along the way.
- Avoid driving after a heavy meal or your family’s signature cocktail – drive safe.
Make a plan, but stay spontaneous
You don’t need to rush to see the in-laws, enjoy the journey!
- Leave some time for unique stops along the way.
- Music makes the trip more enjoyable, and our road trip playlist will keep the whole family entertained for hours.
There’s no place like home for the holidays!