Skip to main content

How to make FAFSA® corrections

    Mistakes happen, and with so many people completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) every year, it’s not out of the question that filers will make errors or that the information they’ve supplied will change after they've submitted the application.

    After submitting your FAFSA®, you’ll receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which will give you information about your financial aid eligibility. When you receive your SAR, you may notice a mistake requiring a correction or an update you must make.

    Regardless of the changes you need to make, be sure to update your FAFSA® promptly, as a delay can result in you not receiving financial aid.

    Keep reading to learn more about the FAFSA® corrections process and the deadline to complete corrections if necessary.

    Acceptable FAFSA® corrections

    Changes you can make to your FAFSA® include the following:

    • Your mailing address
    • Your email address
    • Your contact information
    • Your dependency status

    You must update information about your dependency status if you become pregnant or are under new legal guardianship. If you got married after submitting your FAFSA®, you should speak with your school’s financial aid department to see if a correction is required.

    Some changes, including the number of family members attending college in your household, are only required if the financial aid department of your college contacts you to verify your FAFSA®.

    How to make FAFSA® corrections

    If you made a mistake on your FAFSA®, follow the steps below to correct or update your information.

    • Log onto with your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID.
    • On the “My FAFSA” page, select “Make Corrections.”
    • Make a save key to access your saved information. The save key is composed of a four-digit number that you and your parents can use to make corrections.
    • Update your information on your FAFSA®. You can change your student demographics, school selection, dependency status, parents’ demographics, and financial information.
    • Submit your updated information.

    How to add or delete a school

    If you want to make your FAFSA® information available to an additional school after filing the FAFSA®, you may add that school’s Federal School Code by making a correction. If you don’t know the school’s Federal School Code, you can search for a school by selecting the state and entering the school’s name or city.

    Once your FAFSA® is processed, you can add or delete a school on your FAFSA® by following these steps:

    • Go to
    • Select the “Log In” button and enter your FSA ID
    • Select your role
    • On the “My FAFSA” page, select “Add/Change Schools” and then select “Continue”
    • Create a save key
    • Change your information
    • Submit your new information

    What to do if you file FAFSA® using an incorrect Social Security number

    If you file a FAFSA® using an incorrect Social Security number, you can correct your Social Security number by doing one of the following:

    • Submit a new FAFSA® online. When you do this, it’ll change the date your FAFSA® was submitted and processed. Because of that, be sure to check your state and school deadlines because your FAFSA® submission date must meet those deadlines to ensure you can qualify for financial aid.
    • The financial aid office at one of the schools listed on your SAR can change your Social Security number, so reach out to one to have them make the change.
    • ·You can change your Social Security number on your paper SAR by mailing it to the address provided on the SAR. This can take two to three weeks to process. You can’t change your Social Security number through the paper SAR more than once.

    What can’t you change on your FAFSA®

    As covered, there’s some information that you can correct on your FAFSA®. However, there’s some information you can’t correct on your FAFSA®. One field you can’t update is your adjusted gross income if you used the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

    You should speak to your school’s financial aid office if you need to change your adjusted gross income, you’re unable to, and you believe you’re entitled to more aid but aren’t receiving it because of this issue.

    What’s the FAFSA® corrections deadline?

    The FAFSA® is due on June 30 each year, but you have longer to make corrections. Corrections and updates for the 2023-24 academic year must be submitted before September 14, 2024.

    FAFSA® corrections typically take three to five days to process. Some forms of financial aid are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, so the earlier you make any necessary corrections, the better.

    There also might be additional earlier deadlines to be aware of – like specific deadlines set by your school or state. Make sure to check on all the corrections deadlines you’ll need to adhere to well in advance so you’re prepared during the process.

    What happens if you miss the FAFSA® corrections deadline?

    If you miss the FAFSA® corrections deadline, and the result is that you receive less financial aid than you may be eligible for, here are a few steps to consider taking.

    • Call your school’s financial aid office. Contact your school’s financial aid office and ask for any help they may be able to provide. Your school is your best first line of defense.
    • Research scholarships and grants that you may be eligible for. There’s aid you might be able to access outside of the FAFSA® like scholarships and grants. You can combine multiple scholarships and grants to reduce your education costs.
    • Consider private student loans. If you feel limited by the aid you can secure via the FAFSA®, consider applying for private student loans. Private student loans don’t come with some of the advantages of federal student loans, like advantageous interest rates and flexible repayment terms. Still, they can be a useful tool for plugging gaps you may have in your ability to pay for college.

    Final thoughts

    If you realize after submitting your FAFSA®, you made a mistake or your information has changed, don’t worry. Follow the above steps as soon as possible to try to receive the financial aid you’re eligible for.