Debit cards allow consumers to make safe and convenient transactions with funds from their checking account. Debit cards are often provided when you open an account at a bank, credit union, or financial institution, but there might be some cases in which you have to request one yourself. You may also follow some of the same options if you need to request a replacement for a damaged or lost debit card. Before committing to opening a bank account and getting a debit card, be sure to consider the monthly service fees that may apply to your savings or checking account.
Before you can use a debit card, you may have to set a PIN (Personalized Identification Number) and activate the card by calling the bank’s customer service number, using an ATM, or by confirming receipt through your bank account’s website or mobile app.
How to get a new debit card
Once you have an eligible bank account, you may be able to get a debit card through the following steps:
- Call customer service. You can usually call your bank’s customer service line to request a debit card or to confirm if one has been mailed to your correct address.
- Request a card online. You may be able to request a debit card through your bank account’s website or mobile app.
Before you can use your new debit card, you’ll need to activate it by calling the number on the back of the card. If this feature is available to you, you may be able to confirm receipt of your debit card and activate it through your bank account’s mobile app.
What do you need to get a debit card?
When opening a bank account and getting a debit card, you’ll likely need to provide some of the following:
- Valid driver’s license
- Social security card
- A bill with your current name and address
- Proof of address
- State identification card
- Confirmation of enrollment in an accredited school or college/trade school (if applying for student or college bank account)
How to set up a bank account
You may open a bank account through some of the following steps:
- Start the application process with your bank.
- Choose the right type of accounts (checking, student, etc.) for you.
- Read over your account materials. Once you are approved and your eligible bank account is opened you can request a debit card.