Debit cards allow consumers to make convenient transactions with funds from their checking account. Debit cards are often provided when you open an account at a bank, credit union, or financial institution, but there might be some cases in which you have to request one yourself. You may also follow some of the same options if you need to request a replacement for a damaged or lost debit card. Before committing to opening a bank account and getting a debit card, be sure to consider the monthly service fees that may apply to your checking account.
Before you can use a debit card, you may have to set a PIN (Personalized Identification Number) and activate the card by calling the bank’s customer service number, using an ATM, or by confirming receipt through your bank account’s website or mobile app.
How to get a new debit card
Once you are approved for a checking account the debit card is often provided to you. If one is not automatically provided, you may be able to get a debit card through the following steps:
- Call customer service. You can usually call your bank’s customer service line to request a debit card or to confirm if one has been mailed to your correct address.
- Request a card online. You may be able to get a debit card through your bank account’s website or mobile app.
Before you can use your new debit card, you’ll need to activate it by calling the number on the back of the card. If this feature is available to you, you may be able to confirm receipt of your debit card and activate it through your bank account’s mobile app.
What do you need to get a debit card?
Once your checking account is opened you can get a debit card. There are a few documents you will need to open a checking account whether it is online or in person. Banks and other financial institutions may have different requirements. If you are a U.S. citizen or non-U.S. citizen residing in the U.S., here’s a list of a few documents you may need to open your account. However, check with your financial institution to determine what documents you will need. This could be a valid:
- Government issued photo ID or driver’s license
- Social security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Birth Certificate
- Proof of Address: It must show your name and address of your residence. This could be a current and valid:
- Lease document
- Mortgage document
- Utility bill
- Bank statement or credit card statement
How to set up a bank account
You may open a bank account through some of the following steps:
- Start the application process with your bank.
- Choose the right type of accounts (checking, student, etc.) for you.
- Read over your account materials. Once you are approved and your eligible bank account is opened you can request a debit card.
Not a customer yet?