Please upgrade your browser.

We’ll stop supporting this version of your browser soon. Upgrade now to protect your accounts and enjoy a better experience. See your choices.

Please update your browser.

We'll stop supporting Internet Explorer® soon. Choosing another browser will also help protect your accounts and provide a better experience.

Update your browser


We’ve signed you out of your account.

You’ve successfully signed out

We’ve enhanced our platform for For a better experience, download the Chase app for your iPhone or Android. Or, go to System Requirements from your laptop or desktop.

Home Lending Customers | Estate Services |

Estate Services

Mortgage and Home Equity Lines of Credit

We’re very sorry for your loss and understand this may be a difficult time for you. You may have questions about handling existing mortgage affairs. Maybe you aren’t sure where to start or what questions to ask. You have options and we’re committed to helping you complete your request as quickly and easily as possible.

Determine who takes over the home
If there was a co-borrower for the mortgage loan, that person will remain on the account and will remain the responsible party for making the mortgage loan payments.

If no borrower for the original mortgage remains, an appointed fiduciary or personal representative can oversee the estate and will have access to loan information. There could also be a trust set up where the named successor trustee can oversee the trust. You’ll want to start with collecting any pre-existing documents related to interest in the property, such as a trust agreement, appointment of executor of estate, will or deed to the property.

Once you’ve established who'll manage the affairs, you’ll want to decide what’s next. You may need to get basic loan information, make payments or even sell the property. We can help guide you through the steps to achieve your needs.

Removing the deceased customer’s name

If there is more than one customer on the account, the remaining customer may remove the deceased customer’s name from all loan correspondence.

Adding a successor in interest

Once ownership interest in the property has been verified, the successor in interest will be authorized to receive information about the loan and make payments.

Adding a fiduciary

Once there is an executor, administrator or personal representative for the estate, that court-appointed person will be authorized to receive information about the loan and make payments.

Adding a successor trustee

Once the living trust is verified, the successor trustee listed on the trust agreement can be authorized to receive information about the loan and make payments.


Frequently asked questions

Does owning a property and being liable for mortgage payments mean the same thing?


No. You can be the property owner without being liable for making payments. However, the property is still subject to the terms of the mortgage, and payments should be made to keep the loan in good standing.

I would like to have financial responsibility for the loan—what do I need to do?


Please call us at 1-800-848-9136. We'll discuss your options with you.

Can I receive loan information if I’m not a family member?


No, unless you're appointed as a fiduciary or successor trustee.

Why do you need proof of relationship?


Protecting our customer’s information is important to us. We need to verify your identity to protect against inappropriate use of the account.

What can I do with the property?


If you’re taking ownership of the property, you should make payments to keep the account in good standing. If you decide to pay off the account now or later, please call us and we'll help you.

How do I know if the loan is up to date?


We can provide the status of the loan and other secure information after we receive your documents and update the account.

What will happen if no updates are made to the account or no action is taken?


The account would remain in the deceased customer’s name and stay the way it is today. If there is no remaining living customer on the account, it'll be difficult to gain information needed to manage the account to keep it in good standing. If you expect difficulties making payments, call us to see what assistance options we can offer.

Can I provide photocopies of the documents you're requesting?


Yes, we'll accept copies. If you’re having trouble finding the death certificate, we may be able to help you locate it. Please call us.

How do I get a copy of the recorded deed for the property?


Contact the recorder’s office for the county where the property is located.

What if I still have questions about a mortgage or home equity line of credit?


Please call us at 1-800-848-9136. Or you can send us a message through the message center or

For more information about your home lending and other Chase account, go to