Keep these concepts in mind as you put together your team:
- Work ethic is critical. You need people who can get the job done.
- What's their vision? Bring in people who see big possibilities.
- Hire against your weaknesses. Can they make you smarter or more effective?
- Enlist collaborators. You want people who will build with you.
- Seek diversity of all kinds — people who add different perspectives and new ideas.
- Look for folks who are hungry for opportunity, such as recent graduates, formerly incarcerated people and workers seeking a fresh start.
- Communicate what makes your business special in your job announcement. You want people who will add to your company culture.
- Be honest about what it takes to succeed in the role.