8 Stunning U.S. Golf Destinations
Chase Sapphire Preferred is the official credit card of the 2016 PGA Championship.
The nation's premier golf destinations offer incredible views along the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, the Great Lakes, and the rolling hills of the Midwest. Whether you're heading to a course to see the best golfers chase their next titles, try your hand at the fairway or check out area fine dining and recreational options, here are eight destinations worth considering as you plan your next day on the green.
- Cypress Point Club & Pebble Beach Golf Links, Pebble Beach, Calif: With rolling fairways woven into a landscape of sand dunes, cypress trees and a majestic coastline, the course at Cypress Point rivals neighboring Pebble Beach, where nine of the 18 holes line the Pacific coast. Head to Stillwater Bar & Grill, Roy's or The Bench for a bite, hike out to Point Lobos State Natural Reserve, or cruise 15 minutes up the coast to check out the shops and restaurants of Monterey.
- Harbour Town Golf Links, Hilton Head Island, S.C.: After undergoing a series of improvements in the summer of 2015 -- most notably the addition of Celebration Bermuda grass -- the course's pièce de résistance is the par-4 18th hole overlooking Calibogue Sound. Hilton Head features some of the East Coast's best beaches, top-tier shopping, hiking in the Sea Pines Forest Preserve, boating and everything from fine dining at Sunset Grille to crab feasts at the award-winning Crazy Crab.
- Shinnecock Hills Golf Club, Southhampton, N.Y.: The Shinnecock Hills Golf Club is home to the nation's first clubhouse and was the first to admit female members. While you're in the Hamptons, stop by The Lobster Grille Inn, Red|Bar Brasserie or Plaza Café for great seafood. Check out Edward Archer in Southampton for men's clothing, and Scoop Beach and Calypso St. Barth in East Hampton for women's fashion.
- Oakmont Country Club, Oakmont, Pa.: Often considered the hardest U.S. Open course, Oakmont has hosted three PGA championships and eight U.S. Opens. Head to Pamela's Diner in nearby Pittsburgh for an authentic local meal; for finer fare, check out Eleven, Seviche or Monterey Bay Fish Grotto. While you're there, nab tickets to a Pirates game and stick around for the post-game fireworks over the river.
- Hazeltine National Golf Club, Chaska, Minn.: With 18 holes spread among rolling hills, woodlands and expansive lakes, this bentgrass course captures the best of the Midwest landscape. Planning a trip to the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine also means the chance to check out Minneapolis and St. Paul's burgeoning restaurant scene or tour the historic mansions of Summit Avenue.
- Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, Ga.: Home to the Masters Tournament since its inception in 1934, Augusta National has topped Golf Digest's top 100 U.S. golf courses list five times. The area features Southern charm at its best, with highlights including the Riverwalk, the Augusta Museum of History and the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson. Try a boat tour along the canal or the countless boutiques along Broad Street.
- Baltusrol Golf Club, Springfield, N.J.: Baltusrol's historic Lower Course will host the 2016 PGA Championship as the event returns to the site of Phil Mickelson's 2005 win. The 7,400-yard par-72 is most famous for its fourth hole, a par-3 that requires hitting over a pond to reach the two-tiered green.Area highlights include the Watchung Reservation, South Mountain Reservation and a variety of Zagat-rated restaurants in nearby Madison, Chatham, Millburn and Maplewood. Manhattan is about an hour away by train.
- Whistling Straits Golf Course, Sheboygan, Wis.: – Situated along two miles of the Lake Michigan shoreline, the Straits at Whistling Straits has three times hosted the PGA Championship and will host the 2020 Ryder Cup. The area has become a destination on its own, with an entire travel infrastructure built to accommodate the troves of amateurs and professionals who consider this course among the best in the world.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® is the Official Credit Card of the 2016 PGA Championship and 2016 Ryder Cup. Learn more about the Ryder Cup and other card member events at chase.com/SapphireOnLocation.